Monday, January 24, 2011

Genesis 43- 44

These chapters of Genesis tell the story of Joseph testing his brothers in Egypt. I have to admit, I really don't get the"spiritual" point of this story. I can understand why Joseph might feel the desire to get back at his brothers after having been sold into slavery and imprisoned for 14 years, but that doesn't have much of a "feel-good" moral to it (unless the moral is 'don't sell your brother into slavery', admittedly a good one).

I do, however, admire Judah's response when he pleads to take Benjamen's place. He speaks of his father's love for Benjamen and of how much it would hurt his father were Benjamen not to return, especially in the light of Joseph's disappearance. Judah was the same one who tried to save Joseph in the first place, and I think his love for Joseph is reflected in this act as well. I also like the final verse of chapter 44, "For how can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me? I fear to see the evil that would find my father.” Judah is sincerely motivated by a desire to protect others from harm.

None of this, however, explains why Joseph felt the need to test his brothers. Maybe it's an admission that he's only human. That after being so wronged, he needed proof that his brothers did not still hate him. Perhaps, Judah's display of love for Benjamin (and Jospeh by extension) was something he really needed to see before he trust his brothers again. Perhaps the take-away is that even Joseph, one of the most upright people in the old-testament, was still only human.

No comments: